Poppers

Poppers

Poppers are nitrite-based drugs that cause blood vessels to relax and expand when they are inhaled. They produce a light-headed and dizzy feeling. The effects usually only last a few minutes. Some men like to use them during sex because they intensify pleasure and also help relax the anal sphincter muscles. Others find that they don’t enjoy the effects at all, that they get more of a headache than a pleasurable rush.

Risks

Use of poppers is associated with an increased risk of acquiring HIV infection among MSM, particularly for the bottom. This is because using poppers opens your blood vessels wider and causes more blood to flow to your rectum, allowing for more of an opportunity for HIV to enter your bloodstream.

 

Poppers effects blood pressure. Many people have lost consciousness and passed out.

 

Poppers can interact with other drugs, especially Viagra. This has caused people to collapse and could result in death.

 

Swallowing it will cause poisoning and severe sickness. It also burns if it touches someone’s skin.

 

Poppers are flammable and should not be used near candles, lighters or cigarettes.

Support & Services

Further information & support services at http://www.drugs.ie/drugtypes/drug/poppers_stimulant

or from the drugs helpline: Freefone 1800 459 459

GET TESTED
NEED TO TALK
DOWNLOAD THIS SECTION
VIEW LEAFLET
EMERGENCY EXIT