What Are Poppers?
Poppers are nitrite-based drugs that cause blood vessels to relax and expand when they are inhaled. They produce a light-headed and dizzy feeling. The effects usually only last a few minutes. Some men like to use them during sex because they intensify pleasure and also help relax the anal sphincter muscles. Others find that they don't enjoy the effects at all, that they get more of a headache than a pleasurable rush.
Poppers are usually sold as a liquid in a small glass bottle. The bottle is held near the nose so that the vapors can be inhaled. The liquid itself should never be inhaled or allowed to touch your nostrils or skin. There are many brands of poppers available and they are sometimes advertised as "room odorisers" or "leather cleaner" although that is not what most people buy them for.
If used correctly poppers are relatively safe but it's important to be aware of several potential dangers:
- Poppers are toxic if swallowed. If you accidentally swallow any of the liquid call emergency services immediately.
- Poppers should never be used in combination with erectile-disfunction drugs like Cialis or Viagra. The combination can cause your blood pressure to drop which may cause a stroke, heart attack or death.
- If you have low blood pressure or heart problems you should not use poppers.
- Poppers are flammable and should not be used near candles, lighters or cigarettes.
- Poppers can cause irritation such as rashes or burns if you get the liquid directly on your skin. Washing with plenty of water as soon as possible may help reduce the irritation.